Every state in the U.S. is now reopening. The pace, restrictions and guidance vary based sometimes on science and sometimes on politics. And sometimes on both.
The jury is out regarding which state’s approach is best or whether it’s wise to even be reopening at all right now. Perhaps we’ll see the verdict in a month or so.
Meanwhile, I’ve had my say here about Coronavirus and reopening — a perk of having this little soapbox — but I’ve been curious what you all think. I created a little survey that ran for a month ending yesterday, Sunday, May 24th.
The results are in, and they’re interesting. It’s not scientific. There are no empirical findings. It’s a small sampling of self-selected respondents, just those who chose to participate. Still, I’m intrigued by certain trends of consensus — and lack of consensus.
The survey is now closed, but you can read the questions here and the results. Commenting is not closed, so please feel free to add your thoughts and opinions below.
The survey consisted of 11 multi-choice questions. Click here to see them.
Twenty-nine (29) people took the survey. Submissions were anonymous so I don’t know who responded. Some key takeaways:
- You think COVID is deadly & lockdowns should continue — Three-quarters of you said the COVID-19 is a deadly contagion with 1/4 saying you haven’t left your house in a month! 69% of you want lockdowns to continue. One respondent said they’re an attack on our freedom.
- You think we should weigh both science & the economy — Most of you (59%) said that both scientific and economic factors should be considered in reopening. One person favors economic factors only.
- You don’t like Trump — Trump’s handling of the crisis got generally low marks. Only 10% said Trump is “doing OK.” The rest were critical, with half (52%) saying “you’d unplug his respirator to brew your coffee.” Two people said the issue is bigger than whoever is President, Republican or Democrat.
- You do like working from home — Thankfully few of you have been furloughed or laid off (10%). Millions haven’t been so lucky. All of you working at home would like to continue doing so when the crisis ends.
- No consensus on cause of COVID — Opinions on the origins of COVID ran the gamut. Check out Question 10.
- No consensus on trusted news source — Likewise there was no consensus on trusted news source. The biggest single winner was NPR at 31%. CNN was next at 14%. Over a quarter of the answers were varied enough that the system lumped them together as “Other entries.” Looking through the raw data, these other entries included Fox, Breitbart, PBS, BBC, French news, and “Twitter, verified through several news channels.”
Click here to see the full survey results, question by question.
Your Thoughts & Comments
The survey is closed but the Comment Period remains open permanently without time limit. Scroll down & type away! I’d love to hear from you.
Note to Email Subscribers: Subscribers who receive email notification of new posts are encouraged to click the post title to view the website directly. Not all elements of these posts appear or display properly in the email version.
A Request to my Facebook Friends: If you have a comment I encourage you to enter it below instead of on Facebook. This way everyone can participate in the conversation!
A Request to Everyone: All opinions are welcome. I only ask that we remain civil and respectful of one another.